Cleaning Up After Typhoon Glenda
More than two weeks have passed after a typhoon soaked the entire house in floodwater, we are now left with a huge task of sorting out things to salvage or throw away. Thank God our second floor only keeps a handful of stuff. Most of what needs to go are paper based materials.
It is always highly possible that molds form after floodwater hits any part of your property. That is why everything needs to be checked thoroughly.
Here are some items that quickly formed mold after one of my plastic containers where I keep my external hard drive, CD installers, money, and other electronic devices got soaked in rainwater. After inspecting my wallet where I keep these bills, you would not believe how quickly a thick patch of mold formed.
How Do You Get Rid of Mold?
It depends on two things in order to determine which approach is best.
- The extent of damage; and
- Type of material.
In this case, both my wallet and its content formed molds. I dried them completely out before wiping the surface with dry cloth. Naturally, mold stains would still be visible; this would then require damp cloth. You need to dry them out again, and you are done.
For leather wallets, some site forums suggest applying leather wax after drying. Others suggest baking soda diluted with water when dipping cloth to dampen. Others went as far as using vinegar (diluted) or some other form of disinfectant. I was afraid to damage the leather with vinegar and was out with baking soda, so I opted for tap water. On paper bills, I used vinegar with water to dampen the cloth and let them dry under the sun.
What About Reading Materials?
As for some of my books, I can only go as far as applying vinegar + water damped cloth to erase traces of mold on the hard cover. There is nothing I can do with those that formed on the pages except to let them dry under the sun. I had to constantly check on the pages and flip them over to prevent them from sticking. It is a lengthy process to try and salvage my collection, but in the end some had to go. I have about a hundred books in the house and you can imagine how long it will take for me to go through all of them.
Why is it Important to Get Rid of Mold?
It is known fact that frequent exposure to mold can cause respiratory problems. I can not risk that as I have a 5 year old in the house who is very active. If this is not taken care of it might lead to health issues along the way.
Damage to Property
Molds are known precursor to deterioration if unattended. They help break down biodegradable materials such as paper or reading materials in my case.
It might help to know that molds form rapidly and thrive on moist areas in the house or after floodwater breaks into your home. It is an absolute must to dry affected surfaces thoroughly before getting rid of molds. Make sure to repair any source of leaks causing moisture to accumulate to completely prevent molds from reappearing.
For the next couple of weeks we will be having a mold cleanup day in the house, good luck to us, lol!
Image Credit » PenFlavor Collection 2014 All Rights Reserved