1676 Great Spotify Tunes (18)
Well, here it goes, the traitorous first playlist post on the new site. I'll post the links to the existing posts in this series when I can get Bubblews to open without freezing my browser- it is clearly Bubblews , not my computer, because this site, AND FACEBOOK, still works. In the meantime,
When I last could get onto the other site, I left off at song 285 on my spotify Starred playlist. This list was compiled over two years of posting weekly 20-song playlists on my own blog, Ravenmount.com. As a music blogger I get asked all the time for music recommendations, a question I actually love to answer. The tough part is narrowing down my list of favorites to a manageable number. These playlists allow me to show off a few songs at a time that I really like, in a variety of genres, and by a mix of familiar and obscure, old and new artists. When I started making blog playlists I also had fallen into a bit of a rut (I hadn't really become a music blogger yet, though I was getting into it.)
I realized while I was waiting for Celtic Thunder's Ryan Kelly to wake up from his coma (in June 2012) that I had only been listening to Celtic Thunder, Josh Groban, Rhydian Roberts, and the music I already knew about before college. In fact I had not discovered any new music to add to my favorites for many years. The stuff I was listening to was still fantastic music, but I needed new music. I also was annoyed that the artist I was so worried about was someone I had never met, who lived in Ireland, and who had no clue who I was. I realized that I would rather have such an attachment to people I at least had met before, and that 1) I had to actually meet Ryan Kelly, if he survived long enough (which he did) and 2) I needed to pay attention to local music. Local musicians are real people, not celebrities, and you can talk to them without collecting autographs, meet their spouses and parents and friends, and even share a pitcher of beer with them. So, in July 2012 I started taking photos of local bands in concert, and I started making these playlists.
I'll talk your ear/eyes off more about my music blogging adventure later, I'm sure. But, here are the next 15 songs in my playlist post series, songs 286-300 . They are in alphabetical order by artist name because these were actually added to the playlist all at once later, and they are songs I featured fairly early on before I was such a wiz at spotify.
286. Hipple Street - "Inspector Rita" - Neil Byrne is one of the singers in Celtic Thunder now, but before Celtic Thunder he sang and played guitar for an Irish band called Hipple Street.
287. Hipple Street - "Eleanor"
288. Hothouse Flowers - "Santa Monica" - Neil Byrne and Ryan Kelly covered one of Hothouse Flowers' songs, "Don't Go", so I had to check out Hothouse Flowers, of course. They were big in Ireland, apparently, though few people in the US know anything about them.
289. Iarla O Lionaird - "An Buachaillin Ban"
290. If Birds Could Fly - "Muddy Waters" - While finding local music started slowly, in part because I had never been in bars before, as a socially awkward non-drinker, I figured out how to find new music on spotify, including this band.
291. If Birds Could Fly - "Weary Travelers" - This song always fools me into thinking it is by a local (Pueblo, CO) band, the Haunted Windchimes.
292. The Infamous Stringdusters - "Glass Elevator"
293. INXS - "Need You Tonight"
294. INXS - "Drum Opera" - Yeah, you know the other 2 INXS songs here, but maybe not this one ;) .
295. INXS - "Never Tear Us Apart"
296. The Irish Rovers - "The Wind That Shakes the Corn" - I've loved this song ever since grade school.
297. Jackie Oates - "Marrow Bones"
298. Jamie Cullum - "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You"
299. Jason Mraz - "I Won't Give Up" - I wish I had normal hands some days because I would love to be able to play guitar and sing a cover of this song. Yes, it is overplayed on the radio, and my musician friends avoid the 'popular crap' most of the time, but since I no longer listen to the radio, I like this song.
300. Jason Aldean, Kelly Clarkson - "Don't You Want to Stay"
Stay tuned for more! :)
(image credit: Mine! created using Paint)