By in Animals

Sick as a dog!

LOOK, IT WASN'T really my fault! I'm a puppy and I do puppy things so if someone carelessly leaves a bar of chocolate unguarded for a few moments what do they expect?

It was a lovely bar of dark chocolate and it was delicious. Even the wrapper tasted nice. I didn't know that human chocolate was poisonous to dogs. I'm a puppy for goodness sake - it's not my responsibility to be responsible!

To be fair to the family once it was realised what I had done they went into top gear. A frantic phone call to the vet; my brother and sister snatched from the dinner table mid-spaghetti; me being bundled into my travelling cage; a frenzied 20-mile dash up the motorway and the screech of brakes as we pulled up outside the veterinary surgery.

The vet said that we had a two-hour window to administer treatment before things got bad but we had made it in time and I would be fine. So he promptly stuck a needle full of something into my butt and 15 minutes later I was vomiting chocolate (and breakfast and dinner) all over his floor!

I felt a bit wobbly for a bit but we were sent home with instructions to feed me chicken and pasta - and a large pinch of charcoal - for the next couple of days.

I'm fine now but my first medical emergency cost my mum £140 'cos it was a Sunday. Serves her right since she's the one who left the chocolate unguarded in the first place!

Image Credit » My Mum

You will need an account to comment - feel free to register or login.


MegL wrote on August 25, 2017, 6:56 PM

OOHHhhhh! Not pleasant. I bet you won't like chocolate after that experience of it. It's a good job they realised what had happened AND knew what to do. Chicken and pasta, bet you're enjoying that.

VinceSummers wrote on August 25, 2017, 9:19 PM

Yowch! That sounds like oodles of money! I wonder if the vet used syrup of ipecac and a laxative?

melody23 wrote on August 26, 2017, 11:41 AM

Oh Rocco, I do hope you are feeling better! Silly humans leaving tasty things lying about like that! Although I do have to say that £140 is not a terrible vet bill, I was once quoted £160 to go to the emergency vet hospital in town, and that was before they had even seen Bramble, they made it quite clear that treatment costs would be added to that!

Kasman wrote on August 26, 2017, 4:53 PM

Chicken's OK but I've developed a taste for chocolate emoticon :winking:

Kasman wrote on August 26, 2017, 4:55 PM

Whatever it was it certainly worked!

Kasman wrote on August 26, 2017, 4:56 PM

Mrs Kasman had a similar experience with a guinea pig. We're in the wrong business! emoticon :smile:

melody23 wrote on August 27, 2017, 7:09 AM

Although I couldn't handle being a vet nurse

MegL wrote on June 30, 2018, 5:15 PM

The same thing just happened to Cooper! The chairs were left out around the table and there was lovely dark chocolate on it. Once everyone left the room, including the dinner guests, Cooper hopped up on the table, stole a bar of chocolate and rushed into the garden to eat it. It's a Saturday night, so will probably be an expensive visit to the vet. He is going to get an injection to make him sick. He will be a sorry pup!

Kasman wrote on June 30, 2018, 9:59 PM

Oh no! Hope he's OK.

MegL wrote on July 1, 2018, 3:04 AM

Yes, he got the injection and the vet said they did the right thing. They have been told no food (for Cooper) for 12 hours and then he should be ok. He is feeling sorry for himself.