It just shattered!
Dinner Is In The Oven
My husband likes his meals at regular times, generally 5pm for dinner unless something else is going on. But today, our son was late. He then texted to say he would be "10 minutes".
Omelette and Chips / Fries
Today we were going to have an omelette with chips (fries) bought from the local chippie, so I set off to pick up the chips (fries).
He Was LATE
Omelette doesn't keep too well and our son was late. We serve our meals on large oval plates I have had for over 30 years. He rushed to get his meal from the oven and the top plate (keeping it moist) slipped and fell on the floor and chipped.
Plate on draining board
The plate was put on the draining board and I looked at it to see if it could be saved or whether the place where the piece had chipped off was smooth enough to make it safe to keep using. The plates were made of pyrex glass, toughened and heat resistant. It was still warm from the oven. I ran my finger carefully over the chipped portion to see whether it were sharp and the plate SHATTERED into at least 100 pieces with a loud CRACK! Most of the glass fragments were large and remaied on the draining board but some were small and had been propelled onto the floor.
That was quite a shock. It must have been a shock for the plate too! I assume that the fall and chip had stressed the glass and the slightest touch was then enough to shatter it.
Image Credit » https://pixabay.com/en/kitchen-sink-faucet-tap-bottles-691247/ by Unsplash
WordChazer wrote on November 27, 2015, 7:07 AM
Blimey! We're good at throwing cheap wine glasses around the kitchen but haven't had something like that happen in a long while. Our everyday plates are from the 1950s and 1960s, the remnants of several sets that my grandmother, two aunts and some cousins had and which Gran left to me in her will, much to the annoyance of the rest of the rellies. (Tough, those plates are MINE...) Hope no one was hurt by any of the glass and that you still enjoyed your delicious-sounding supper.
VinceSummers wrote on November 27, 2015, 7:40 AM
It's fascinating some of the things that can happen that seem to go against natural processes, when they actually don't. I once put a pot of water in a large outdoor deep freezer and came out to get it next day. The "ice" was still water, which didn't make any sense (I was a kid). I put my finger in the water and it IMMEDIATELY began freezing around my finger. I pulled my finger out *in a hurry* you can believe m.1
Rufuszen wrote on November 27, 2015, 8:04 AM
I've seen that demostrated on science programmes, but never seen it for real.
Rufuszen wrote on November 27, 2015, 8:06 AM
Sounds an expensive omelette and chips! Do they still make the plate?
wolfgirl569 wrote on November 27, 2015, 9:51 AM
That would startle you. Surprised it did not just shatter when it fell
CoralLevang wrote on November 27, 2015, 10:03 AM
Wow. These are the kinds of things that do not happen too often, thank goodness!
markgraham wrote on November 27, 2015, 12:27 PM
That is sad especially when took good care of it for all those years.
It is not quite the same but I had a dresser for as long as I have alive and we give it to my niece to use and four years they decide to get rid of it and they said it was just junk. I could have still used in my outside room along with a chair they probably let the four kids jump on to break it apart for I could have used it too in my outside room as well.
MegL wrote on November 27, 2015, 1:28 PM
Yes, people don't seem to take as much care of things these days. It's annoying to see something useful wsated!
Feisty56 wrote on November 27, 2015, 2:00 PM
You didn't mention getting cut or otherwise injured from the shattered plate, so I hope that means you did not.
MegL wrote on November 27, 2015, 5:50 PM
No, no one was injured thank goodness. I was quite surprised by that, following the shattering of the plate but very glad all the same
paigea wrote on November 27, 2015, 11:37 PM
that is strange how that happened. I have had dishes shatter from a slight bump and assumed like you that they were already stressed.
MegL wrote on November 28, 2015, 3:17 AM
I doubt it but it's not important to me.
AliCanary wrote on November 28, 2015, 4:25 PM
Wow, wasn't that a surprise! Glad that kind of glass doesn't break into very sharp pieces. It could have hurt you pretty seriously.
xstitcher wrote on December 3, 2015, 6:07 PM
Yipes ! I hope that all of the glass was able to be cleaned up so no one steps on it !
cheri wrote on December 3, 2015, 9:20 PM
We only have a good family eating time during weekend and it feels sad when one of my kids go home late.