By in Personal

Should we stay or should we go?

I’m having a bit of a dilemma here. We bought the house where we now live as it was the most convenient place for both my and my partner’s work (and it has a decent-sized garden), but since we moved here seven years ago I have switched to working at home and my partner has a different job which involves more time spent travelling ‘up north’, so if we wanted we could move somewhere different where we could almost certainly buy something much nicer for the same price. The thing is that when you have too much choice, it’s hard to decide. And of course Big One is happy here and has her friends at school and her various activities and doesn’t want to move. On top of that I am still sorting out affairs after both my parents died in the last few years, so until that is all finalised it probably doesn’t really make sense to buy a new house.

But if we wait, it will easily be another couple of years before we are in a position to move, so in the meantime how much should we do to this house? The question has been precipitated by Pup who chewed a big hole in the vinyl flooring in the kitchen, but one thing leads to another. We originally put vinyl as a bit of a stop-gap when we first moved here although it wasn’t really suitable. Now we need to replace it with something better, but to do that we really need to level the floor (which is in two sections which slope in opposite directions). And to do that we’d need to take out all the fitted kitchen units… and if we were going to do that we should really replace them as some of the doors are held on with nuts and bolts, the extractor hood has fallen off, the oven door is held shut with magnets from an old microwave etc… but then if we are going to replace the kitchen we have thought about rearranging the whole back of the house, replacing the conservatory (which is far too cold to use for about 5 months of the year) with a year-round room and using that as the kitchen instead of the current one which is long and narrow and dark with no windows so we always have to have the lights on. Then if we do that we would probably need to dig up the concrete outside to do the work on the drains, and if we do that we really ought to replace the concrete driveway which is too narrow and has a nasty little ‘clip’ at the top where we always catch the sill of the car. And the whole outside of the house needs re-rendering which we haven’t done in case we did do an extension. So from an apparently simple problem the situation escalates into thousands, and then potentially tens of thousands, of pounds worth of work. Aargh! Sometimes it seems easier if circumstances (such as a job change) force a particular course of action because I just don’t know what to do! The only thing I do know is that doing nothing is not an option since the current situation is really dangerous!

Image Credit » copyright Fleur 2015

You will need an account to comment - feel free to register or login.


Kasman wrote on August 20, 2015, 8:36 AM

That sounds more like an obstacle course than a house! Do the minimum to make it presentable (whoever buys it will alter it anyway) and then take the money and run!

wolfgirl569 wrote on August 20, 2015, 9:52 AM

If you are going to sell do enough to make it safe and saleable. If you stay start getting things the way you want them. I know I was not any help lol

Feisty56 wrote on August 20, 2015, 11:39 AM

Oh my gosh, you do have a dilemma! No matter what course of action you choose to take, there will be positives and negatives. Maybe making a list of the the pros and cons of both staying and moving will help you to better sort this out. I wish you the best of luck.

Paulie wrote on September 28, 2015, 1:25 AM

Yes, I can see the problem you have. If you spent a lot of money rehabing your house, would you be able to get that back in a higher sales price when you decide to move?

paigea wrote on October 10, 2015, 10:17 PM

I agree with Kasman. People seem to renovate houses that were just renovated, so do what you must to get it presentable.