So Sick Of All The Wasps!
Since a wildfire 3 years ago, Wasp populations are booming, my friend said it´s because they like to build nests where it's hot and sunny, and since so many trees were burned, there is much less shade for them all around my place. I don´t know if that's a fact or not, but there are certainly more and more each year, this summer they are like a plague and I have been stung 4 times in 3 weeks.
I´m not the kind of person who runs around flailing my arms and screaming when I see a flying insect that could bite me, the most I usually manage is a bit of a wave of the hand when something comes close and is annoying, but I am being stung despite that, and I´m not even aware there´s a wasp on me most of the time until I feel that burning sensation that accompanies a sting.
Yesterday I was stung while putting the shopping away in my kitchen. I didn´t even know there was a wasp in there, but it either stung me through my clothes (just down from my armpit) or flew up my T-shirt and became trapped and angry.
I have found out purely by chance that the best way to deal with a wasp sting is to wash the area straight away with lots of cold water, it seems to flush out the toxins. But because I didn´t know if the wasp was inside my clothes I had to be careful taking them off otherwise it would have stung me repetedly . Trying to get a T-shirt and bra off with one hand isn´t easy and the delay meant I was not able to wash the area for a few minutes and this allowed the toxin to take a hold.
I can feel and see there´s a big swollen, red area around the sting site this morning and it´s making my arm ache a bit.
The wasps are also becoming a problem down by the swimming pool and each time I go down there are tons of them floating on the surface drowned or clogging up the filter baskets. Even this mass drowning doesn´t seem to be solving the problem and the buggers just keep coming.
I´m not one for killing things unnecessarily, even things that give me a nasty bite, but this is becoming ridiculous and I need to do something about it. Does anyone have any suggestions please? Before someone gets stung who is severely allergic.
Image Credit » https://pixabay.com/en/wasp-german-wasp-vespula-germanica-538471/ by skeeze
Paulie wrote on July 24, 2015, 5:14 AM
Does your county have a university agriculture center? Maybe they could suggest a remedy for the wasps. Good luck.1
HappyLady wrote on July 24, 2015, 6:11 AM
What an awful experience. I am allergic to wasp stings so I like to keep well away from them.
CoralLevang wrote on July 24, 2015, 9:30 AM
I avoid those buggers, at all costs. Never have I liked being around bees or wasps of any kind.1
wolfgirl569 wrote on July 24, 2015, 10:02 AM
If you cant wash immediately after a sting like happened that time, make a paste of baking soda with just water and put it on the spot. Let it dry, that will draw some of the poison out. If you know where the hives are you could try breaking them apart continuously and see if they leave
DWDavisRSL wrote on July 24, 2015, 10:39 AM
In conjunction with what wolfgirl569 said, you can spray the wasp nests with a hose-end sprayer charged with about a 1/4 cup or dishwashing liquid. This will kill the wasps without leaving a residual poison behind. Spray in the evening after most or all of the wasps are back on the nest. Thanks to Katie Kimball @ Kitchen Stewardship for this solution.
WorDazza wrote on July 24, 2015, 4:46 PM
You need to find a close friend to suck the poison out. Failing that, any old pervert will do! You could probably charge for the privilege too!!
Koalemos wrote on July 25, 2015, 5:13 AM
I must admit that wasps are certainly not my favourite creatures It can be a nightmare when there are lots of wasps around because you cannot feel at ease.
CalmGemini wrote on July 27, 2015, 3:38 AM
You do have a problem.I think the best solution is to eliminate them will be to follow the advice given by DWDDavisRSL.Did you put the baking soda with water on the spot to draw the poison out?Hope you are feeling better now.
Hollyhocks100 wrote on July 28, 2015, 2:08 AM
This is what I worry about. I just hope anyone who comes here if severely allergic has an epi pen with them. It´s more than 10 minutes drive to the nearest emergency room.
Hollyhocks100 wrote on July 28, 2015, 2:10 AM
The nests seem to be really small here, but finding them would be impossible, they could be everywhere.1
Hollyhocks100 wrote on July 28, 2015, 2:12 AM
Good tip about the drawing paste. Don´t think I would fancy breaking up a nest, though, that's asking to be swarmed and stung repeatedly.
Hollyhocks100 wrote on July 28, 2015, 2:13 AM
The nests I have seen are very small, but there must be hundreds of them. Thanks for the tip.
Hollyhocks100 wrote on July 28, 2015, 2:15 AM
Ay up Dazza, long time no see. Trust you to come up with that alternative treatment LOL
Hollyhocks100 wrote on July 28, 2015, 2:17 AM
I know what you mean Barry, and even I, am getting uncomfortable now after being stung so many times. Living in the countryside you do get accustomed to the wildlife, its part and parcel of the surroundings, but this is getting beyond a joke.
Hollyhocks100 wrote on July 28, 2015, 2:18 AM
Thank you, I am
wolfgirl569 wrote on July 28, 2015, 10:21 AM
A long stick works nicely for this and you can move away immediately
WorDazza wrote on July 28, 2015, 3:47 PM
Thought I'd dip me toe in the water over here again. How are you doing? And how is your wonderful daughter doing?
Koalemos wrote on July 30, 2015, 4:20 AM
On second thoughts, you will not have any wasps in Spain. You may have muchas avispas though.
cheri wrote on August 13, 2015, 9:48 PM
I don't have problems like that here but I have mosquito problem instead
Hollyhocks100 wrote on August 15, 2015, 1:43 AM
Tiger mosquitos have arrived in Spain now. I don´t have a problem, but those living close to water do.
luvcrabtreefalls wrote on August 27, 2015, 7:38 AM
Oh my. I am so sorry that you are going through this. I don't like anything that buzzes around me. Not even flies. I am the type of person that flailes my arms around and freaks out. I had a bee climb in my shirt and sting me. We were at a bbq. It hurt so bad. I hope that your situation gets better
imphavok wrote on August 29, 2015, 9:37 AM
Wasps are nasty little buggers! My husband got stung last year and ended up in the hospital with a serious infection cause the darn thing had a dirty stinger! You need to find their nest and destroy it (Or pay someone to destroy it). I'm not a huge fan of chemicals, but there are a bunch of wasp killing sprays at the hardware store. I wish you the best of luck, I hope the go away soon!
Hollyhocks100 wrote on August 30, 2015, 3:48 AM
Thank you. it does seem as though there are less wasps now. Probably because most drowned in my swimming pool.
Hollyhocks100 wrote on August 30, 2015, 3:52 AM
Oh dear, that is bad news. My late husband once had a really bad sore caused I think by being bitten by an insect that had just bitten a cow with ringworm. As I am surrounded by countryside there are probably nests everywhere and they are hard to spot. Things do seem to be calming down now, still plenty around, but not quite as many as before.
jiangliu1949 wrote on September 4, 2015, 7:28 AM
The problem is why where you live is alive with wasps, it must boil down to ecological problem ,as you said about the wildfire .If you are stung by a wasp,first you should pull out the sting,then apply some soda water to affected part ,maybe it helps.