By in Writing

Wednesday Writing Prompt for July 22, 2015

My Introductory post .

The prompt for today is: lesbians

This is what I wrote:

I’m working on a novella about a group of people on an archeological expedition. The main character and group leader is a young woman and about half of the team are friends and family. Included in that is a guy who is one of her best friends, but who is in love with her and wants to get married. The woman is somewhat uncomfortable about that because she’s not the marrying type, and she sees him as just a friend.

When I first started the story, I debated that another possible reason she wasn’t interested was that she was a lesbian and would start something with one of the other team members that she had just met. But I didn’t go that route because it seemed a tad cliché. I read/watch/write mostly science fiction, and it feels like a lot of time when lesbians show up they are more for the stereotypical scifi nerd to fantasy about that to have anything to do with the plot. I’m not saying lesbians shouldn’t be in stories, they shouldn’t walk into a scene with a banner reading “I have sex with women!”

In case you’re wondering, I’ve decided that the main character in my story is 95% straight and hasn’t really thought about the other 5%. She develops a close friendship with the other woman with perhaps an unconscious pinch of romance to it. If you pointed that out to her, she would go, “Wait, what?” and then have something to think about.

***

Check out my previous prompt .


Image Credit » https://pixabay.com/en/blank-paper-pen-coffee-work-792125/ by Kaboompics_com

You will need an account to comment - feel free to register or login.

Comments

MegL wrote on July 22, 2015, 4:09 PM

It one way it doesn't matter, as long as you know the motivation for that character, whichever way it goes.

DWDavisRSL wrote on July 22, 2015, 6:00 PM

In my first book my primary antagonist went through a phase of confusion over her orientation and did some inferred experimentation.

cheri wrote on July 22, 2015, 9:26 PM

It depends on where your story is going and I think its good.

Brillian wrote on July 24, 2015, 9:48 AM

A good story is spontaneous. Anything out of the blue!