It's All About that Bass
Though I got through the first half of the 30-day Song Challenge by AliCanary , I have been remiss in keeping up with it. Instead of trying to catch up, I have already identified several songs that fit into certain categories, such as the "song I often hear on the radio."
I remember when I first heard "All About the Bass" on the radio. It was about the time that I was back in Tulsa, Oklahoma visiting my sister, Sonja, back in September of last year. Not only could we identify with Meghan Trainor, it was a great play on musical terms we grew up with in a musical family.
Both of us have always had more "bass," even though we were also not lacking in the "treble" department. We are both "baby boomers" and had "over the years over body image, as did many women who weren't the "stick figure Barbie dolls," mentioned in Trainor's song.
I have heard the song many times over the radio and it is now used in a cute diaper (nappy, for some of my friends) commercial featuring toddlers.
I am glad that body image today does not seem to be quite the issue it was for me, and other woman I have known.
We still have a long way to go, but perhaps songs like "All About the Bass" remind some that they do not have to fit within some unrealistic "ideal."
However, I would be happier if we could get to a point where we do not judge another person by their bass, treble or any other "part," other than the heart that goes into making them who they are.
More from My 30-Day Song Challenge:
- Day 1--My Favorite Song Is...
- Day 2--My Least Favorite Song Is...
- Day 3--A Song that Makes Me Happy...
- Day 4--This Song Makes Me Sad...
- Day 5--A Song that Reminds Me of Someone
- Day 6--A Song that Reminds Me of Somewhere (Hawaii)
- Day 7--A Song that Reminds Me of an Event (Tupperware Jubilee)
- Day 8--I Know All the Words to This Song, Do You?(Twisted)
- Day 9--A Song to Dance To (Uptown Funk)
- Day 10--A Song to Help Fall Asleep (Relaxation)
- Day 11--A Song from My Favorite Band (Tower of Power)
- Day 12--A Song from a Band I Have Never Liked (The Doors)
- Day 13--A Song that Is a Guilty Pleasure, Please Don't Judge Me
- Days 14 & 15--A Song No One Would Guess I Love that Also Describes Me
Coral Levang © 2015 All rights reserved.
Image Credit » http://pixabay.com/en/jazz-concert-double-bass-music-191548/ by tatlin