Once Upon a Time I Was a Vegetarian
There was once upon a time when I was primarily a vegetarian. In those three years, I even tried to be a vegan. I was in my early twenties and it was not yet very popular in mainstream cooking.
Tofu was not well-liked among the majority of the "American" people I knew, but living in Hawaii, I learned to eat it in very flavorful dishes from many of my Asian friends. I learned that there are different styles of tofu. I preferred the firmer tofu.
I also had a friend in the mid-1980s in Seattle who was a bit of a "hippie," and older than I was. She had been a vegetarian most of her life. By this time, I was back to eating meat, but was eating vegetarian and vegan meals about half the time. She invited me over for dinner. She served a vegetarian taco with a fried, spiced tofu that I absolutely loved.
I learned to make this recipe and still remember to this day. It has been awhile since I have made it. I used to make it about once a week, and served it cold or hot. I would make tacos one night, and then use it cold in pita bread with veggies for a lunch sandwich the next day.
My friend, Rita's Spicy Tofu Filling
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. each: turmeric, basil, thyme, curry powder, ground cumin
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. tamari soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Pat the tofu dry, pressing slightly to squeeze out some of the moisture.
- Dice the tofu into uniform cubes (1/2-inch).
- Heat oil in skillet or wok over high heat and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, and drain any water out, and then add turmeric and stir to coat. It will be a beautiful yellow color.
- Add the basil, thyme, curry powder and minced garlic. Add a little more oil, if needed so it doesn't stick. Turn up the heat.
- Add soy sauce and nutritional yeast, and saute until the tofu is nicely golden brown. Adjust soy sauce to taste.
Though I eat meat today, this is still one of my favorite vegetarian recipes that I still make from time-to-time today.
© Copyright 2015 Coral Levang - All Rights Reserved.
Content migrated from Bubblews. Originally written on 24 May 2014, and adapted for republishing.
Image Credit » http://pixabay.com/en/tofu-korean-korean-food-597228/