Meat Free Fridays... how hard is it?
It's that time of year again! The season of Lent started on Wednesday which means Meat Free Fridays until Easter. For those of you who don't know, this is a Catholic tradition that states no meat on every Friday leading up to Easter. That means all of March, some of February, and some of April this year.
Personally I have no problem giving up meat on Fridays because... I don't eat meat any day of the week! I eat fish but I don't eat meat, and luckily fish is Friday approved. This tradition always makes me giggle a bit as I watch others struggle to give up meat for one day a week. ONE DAY! Obviously I don't think it's that hard to not eat meat, so I laugh when people act like it's the hardest thing in the world.
So for those of you who have a hard time, here are some meat free meals you can have to survive the Friday's during lent.
- Eggs & Cheese (like the picture) or Omelets with just veggies
- Any kind of pasta with any kind of marinara or cheese or Alfredo or veggie sauce
- Any meal that normally has meat in it, but just don't put meat in it! Like spaghetti can still be a meal without meat!
- Fish, of course, is allowed, so we usually eat fish every Friday
- Replace the meat in a meal with veggies or "veggie meat"... such as Hamburger Helper with Morningstar Crumbles
- Pizza with no toppings or just veggies
- Egg Salad Sandwiches (my favorite)
- Or how about just a regular salad - no meat!
Really giving up meat once a week should be a good idea for anytime of year, not just lent. It's healthy and offers some variety in your diet. I think the meat-eaters who complain about this just need to learn some new things! Learn some new meals or new combinations of food that can be very yummy. My family is lucky I'm a non-meat-eater because I come up with all the Friday meal ideas so they don't have to worry about it :)
As a side note, my brother in law decided to try to give up meat for ALL of lent - that's 40 days of no meat for someone who normally has it daily. Good luck to him!
If you are a meat-eater, could you go 1 day a week without meat? How about 40 days in a row? Obviously you know my answer Now i want to hear yours!
Image Credit » Me