By in Personal

Get a Tax Return - IT's Your Money!!

My eldest son has received a welcome tax return this morning. He got a total of 260£ (approx. 300 odd dollars) from the Inland Revenue after writing to them and asking if he had payed the right amount of tax whilst working.

I encouraged him to do this because often whilst in work you might be paying too much tax due to the tax code given to you.

Tax codes are complex so I won't go into detail in this post, suffice to say that, from time to time, the tax man decides to allot a certain code and this determines the amount of tax you pay on your wage.

In the UK all you have to do is sit down and write a letter - old fashioned snail mail is best because emails can get lost, know what I mean - but if you send a real handwritten letter you usually get a reply sooner or later.

I'm not sure what happens in the USA or other countries but here in the UK you can simply write and ask for the tax adjustment to be made.

Of course, things can go the other way. You may end up owing the tax man money!! That would not be something to celebrate.

Good luck in your application if you do decide to write. All addresses are online.

You will need an account to comment - feel free to register or login.


SoundNFury wrote on January 12, 2015, 6:24 AM

Good for him! Getting money you hadn't accounted for is always a plus. I am going to file my taxes in a couple of weeks. Since I own a house, I always get money back from the interest I pay. Definitely looking forward to it!

Hollyhocks100 wrote on January 12, 2015, 7:04 AM

I had no idea you could request a tax rebate, but know from when I lived in the UK they often just arrive through the post.

crowntower wrote on January 12, 2015, 8:45 AM

That's cool and it is really our rights. Maybe it hard for other countries when corruption is all over the place. Anyway it is better to get our tax return it only means that we exceed in paying the government service to us but sometimes we get harassed! :{