By in Personal

Not Quite the Day I Expected

When I woke up this morning I knew I had a doctor appointment at three in the afternoon thirty miles away. I also knew I had to get an X-ray before the appointment about fifteen miles on the way and the doctor had to have the results by the time of the appointment.

Since I wanted to confirm the lab and also the appointment time, I called the doctor’s office. Good thing I did. They wanted to move the appointment up to noon and had left a message at the other house, which I’d not gotten, of course. This conversation took place at 9:40 AM. My husband had just finished his breakfast and was beginning to get dressed. I was dressed, but hadn’t had breakfast. I figured we should leave by 10:15 and my husband is a slow dresser because of his own physical limitations.

I called the lab and they said they couldn’t save me a place in line because they didn’t have the order yet. (It was in my purse.) I had to go in and wait. There were two ahead of me. To make a long story short, It was about 11.30 when we got out of there. We got to the car out in the parking lot when my husband decided he needed to go back in and use the restroom or we wouldn’t make it over the grade. There were two people ahead of him in line to use the restroom. He also walks slowly. I was trying to stay calm.

By some miracle we made it to the doctor only ten minutes late, and we had called to report the situation. We waited at his office for the X-ray results to arrive. They were good. You could see the doctor was very happy. He had me turn my head every direction. He was satisfied and said everything was healing well as it should. He also lifted some of my restrictions. I can now be in a car for an hour a day if necessary, and I can drive if I have to, but not for long.

I said “But now I won’t have any excuse to avoid going to meetings.” He said sitting for long periods in a meeting wasn’t good for me. Not to do it. Unfortunately, he also lifted some of the housework restrictions. Still no heavy work, or getting on ladders to get heavy things off shelves, but I can lift ten pounds instead of two.

What this really means is that I will have to start doing more offline work and less online. It just has to be done, whether I want to do it or not.

When we left the office we went out for lunch. That gave us some rest for an hour before we went to Costco to shop. That took another hour and I had to try out a sofa they had for sale there and I never wanted to get up. But I did.

The last stop was at home in Templeton, and just as I suspected, our 1/8 mile dirt driveway was the hardest part of the trip. The road is very rough and you can’t go at a crawl up the hill – just more slowly than usual. I was able to bring home more of my winter clothes. I also enjoyed my time petting Sarah and Garfield and giving them cat treats. Sarah was very loving, since I haven’t seen her for a month. They are in the photo above. Sarah stayed on the chair so I could pet her.

When we finished what we had to do at the house it was dark and we left about six. The ride down the hill was much easier than the ride up because we could crawl at a snail’s pace. It was still not easy. I think I’ll continue to stay away from home until I am healed.

All in all it was a successful day and I’m happy I’m healing so quickly. I have pretty much followed doctor’s orders to the letter, and also taken the supplements I need to keep my body functioning well otherwise. I’m very thankful that things went as well as they did, but I think I’ll take it easier than usual tonight.

I’m not sure I’ll be able to answer all your comments, and although I will try to visit as many of your posts as possible tonight, I may not comment because the typing is tiring. But you don’t get anything for my comments anyway, and I’ll be viewing. Trust me on that. I’ll only comment if I can’t help it.

Pictures and content are original and may not be used without permission, B. Radisavljevic, Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved

Image Credit » I took the photo

You will need an account to comment - feel free to register or login.


wolfgirl569 wrote on January 5, 2015, 11:15 PM

I am glad that you got great news. It sounds like you had a very busy day. So you have earned some rest. You dont want to over do it.

bestwriter wrote on January 5, 2015, 11:34 PM

You need to give some space for yourself so that when you get back to any kind of activity whether online or offline you can do it with gusto.

nbaquero wrote on January 5, 2015, 11:52 PM

BarbRad good news you are healing well. Hope you continue to recover quickly.

OldRoadsOnceTraveled wrote on January 6, 2015, 12:02 AM

I'm glad the good part of your report was good! (The bad part--more housework--is very bad.) Would it be easier to walk up and down your driveway instead of riding? Guiness sends purrs to Sarah and Garfield, and to you, too, despite the fact that you didn't buy him any treats at Costco.

Feisty56 wrote on January 6, 2015, 12:28 AM

I'm so pleased to learn you are healing just as the doctor hoped. : ) You had to feel some relief, too. It's also good to see you aren't going to overdo it now that you have a few less restrictions.

peachpurple wrote on January 6, 2015, 1:01 AM

glad to hear you are getting better, i love your kitties photo, anymore?

MegL wrote on January 6, 2015, 3:46 AM

Glad to hear the doctor visit went well and you are recovering very well.

Debbie wrote on January 6, 2015, 4:25 AM

OOh goodness. Sounds like you've had a lot on your plate today. Make sure you rest up plenty and don't worry too much about coming in here to reply to us.

Carmelanirel wrote on January 6, 2015, 7:54 AM

I can't remember, what kind of surgery did you have? I know a woman at the shul had her rotator cuff worked on and she didn't come for services for many weeks. Her first time back was during Hanukkah and even last Saturday I could tell she was in a lot of pain. Some things, I guess, take a really long time to heal, even though you follow the doctor's orders.

VinceSummers wrote on January 6, 2015, 7:55 AM

It's all so much fun -- not. I have to be more faithful about my exercises if I'm to keep walking, etc. I just can't stand for long and I guess it gets worse if you don't do what you're told to do. Fun and games.

paigea wrote on January 6, 2015, 10:49 AM

I am glad you got good news. Take it easy and contineue to heal!

LilyDay wrote on January 6, 2015, 12:46 PM

That is very good news. Well, perhaps it is not such good news about having to get back to the housework. The rest of it is good, though.

PeggyWds wrote on January 6, 2015, 2:38 PM

So glad that you are doing so much better Barbara. Just keep following your doctor's orders. They are obviously working well. Cute photo of your cats.

Brenda wrote on January 6, 2015, 7:33 PM

Wonderful news you are healing good and you should take it easy so as to keep that healing going. I pace myself all the time. Why rush work isn't going anywhere it will be there when I get to it and I always do but in my own time, is my new motto.

Brenda wrote on January 6, 2015, 7:35 PM

Love your cats beautiful colors. Healthy too. I hope to get a cat soon maybe too. Hubby would have a conniption.

AliCanary wrote on January 6, 2015, 7:36 PM

Goodness, it sounds like you had a very long day, and I can see why you are exhausted. I couldn't go nearly that long without seeing my cats--you must miss them very much!

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 2:52 AM

I quite wore myself out today just making soup and making other kitchen chores. Spent most of the afternoon and evening resting with a book.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 2:59 AM

That didn't happen today. My gusto disappeared by noon.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 3:00 AM

Thank you. I'm learning I still have to pace myself.

stbrians wrote on January 7, 2015, 11:49 AM

You are quite busy and engaged fully. Am new here and do mot know where to post my articles

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:31 PM

There aren't any cat treats to be bought at our Costco. Our driveway would not be a good place to walk in the shape I'm in. It's pretty steep and it's easy to slip on loose sand or rocks. It's easier to just stay here and not go home until I'm completely healed.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:32 PM

i'm trying to behave.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:32 PM

Lots more kitty photos. I'll be posting more about the kitties when I can.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:33 PM

Thanks. Meg.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:34 PM

Thanks. For some reason I'm a weakling today.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:37 PM

I had some vertebrae in my cervical spine fused. There's some hardware in there now and a transplant of cadaver bone or tissue that has to grow to replace what was there before.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:40 PM

Exercises are a drag. But I should go do mine. I think I slept wrong last night and my neck and shoulder hurt a bit at the moment., so I don't feel much like doing anything at all.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:40 PM

Thanks. I think I will have to.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:42 PM

I'm not quite ready for the housework yet. I will only do as much as doesn't hurt me or wear me out.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:42 PM

Thanks. They aren't my cats. They just enjoy being on my porch and begging for cat treats.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:43 PM

Yup. I have to save he real energy for solving problems.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:45 PM

I love cats, but these belong to my neighbors (and tenants) across the driveway. Since my neighbors always seem to have cats I can make friends with and who hang out lot at my house, I just enjoy them.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:46 PM

I miss them, but they aren't my cats, since they do have another owner. They just hang out here because their owner also has dogs.

BarbRad wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:48 PM

Just go to the menu under your name at the top and click 'New Article" from the drop down menu.

VinceSummers wrote on January 7, 2015, 12:48 PM

Yeah. Doubtless I'll find some excuse not to do mine. I DO have a full day today. I have a 30 minute part to do tonight at our religious meeting, for one.

k2705 wrote on January 7, 2015, 3:30 PM

Sounds like you had a very busy day, glad you got on ok.

Dustin4ever wrote on January 7, 2015, 3:36 PM

Love your photos! And I am glad you called ahead to get the news. Make sure to rest and take care of yourself.

OldRoadsOnceTraveled wrote on January 7, 2015, 5:39 PM

I'd loan you my nice level driveway, but I'm using it! Did 3 round trips yesterday, 2 today. Probably won't do more than one the next day or two. It's supposed to be frigid!

Carmelanirel wrote on January 8, 2015, 10:18 AM

Oh, back surgery, that is serious. So you are healing up okay? My husband refuses to "go under the knife" because he has had bad experiences before, like when they took his appendix out, they didn't monitor medication like they do today and he was given too much medication, it was many hours before he woke up.