By in Health & Fitness

Guess Where I've Been Hanging Out Tonight

This day started much better than it ended. Got up, ate breakfast, drove to the Templeton house and decided to roam the property to get photos of our trees. This is one of the many of our oak tree while it still has its leaves. It's hard to choose when you've taken a lot of views. This one was from far enough away to capture the whole tree.

I took the photo.

I finally made myself go in the house and start printing more real estate forms from our Realtor so we could sign them and fax them back. Then I had an appointment with my cardiologist for pre-surgical clearance. I had an EKG and he listened to my heart and we talked. He decided I needed to schedule a treadmill stress test for a week from Tuesday. I went home.

My husband came home a few minutes later from his appointment that followed mine. I had taken a lovely detour home to try to capture some great views of the sky at Doce Robles winery. It's really hard to choose just one scene to show you. That's a problem when there are so many shots to be had and the weather is perfect for shooting.

I took the photo.

After Hubby faxed the forms, we ate. I went up stairs to do something, came down, and got one of my palpitation attacks. So I sat in Hubby's chair to wait until I was normal again, and wondered why this couldn't have happened while I was on the EKG machine earlier that afternoon. I thought I was better, so I told Hubby I was going to take a shower and he should lock me in when he left to go back to Paso, where we actually are living now. It was about 5:30. I was planning to pay some bills on the office computer after that. The best laid plans ….

I got another case of palpitations while in the shower. I've never had two in a row like that, and this was worse than the ones I had a couple of weeks ago when I was accidentally off my medication. I've been on the medication for two weeks now, and this shouldn't have happened. It was also a bit different in the way it came on. Good thing I had a shower chair. I almost blacked out. But didn't. It was a bit scary.

I finally recovered enough to leave the shower and make it to the bedroom to lie down. But I knew I still wasn't normal, so I had to make the decision. To go, or not to go, to the emergency room. It's a big decision, since it does cost money, and I knew they might keep me all night, like they did once before. I finally decided to call my husband for help, since I wasn't sure I should try driving home. He came back and took me to the ER, and then he took the photo you see above with my camera.

It took a couple of hours for them to run the tests and get me stable. The nurse put in an IV to pump me with fluid and a small dose of my normal medication, and she wasn't very good at it. It hurt. I was surprised they gave me the medicine by IV, since I have been taking it regularly this past two weeks and haven't skipped any doses. The nurse then tried to draw blood, and the lab rejected it because she didn't take the sample correctly. Fortunately, a qualified genuine “vampire” from the lab came in to do the job right. And then we had to wait another 45 minutes for the results.

The results of the labs were all normal and by the time they got there, I was about normal again, too. There was no evidence of a heart attack having taken place and the doctor determined it was probably a medication issue and that the dose might need adjusting. We'll see how it goes.

Now I'm ready for bed. I thought I'd never get all those little stickers off my body that they use to hold all the monitoring wires in place. It's really good to be home again and able to spend the night in my own bed. Obviously, I didn't get much posting done today.

Pictures and content are original and may not be used without permission, B. Radisavljevic, Copyright 2014, All Rights Reserved

Image Credit » My husband took the photo and I have used it with his permission.

You will need an account to comment - feel free to register or login.


iwrite28 wrote on November 14, 2014, 6:28 AM

The pictures are lovely; the palpitations not so. Please take rest and take care.

carolscash wrote on November 14, 2014, 6:47 AM

Take care of yourself . The photos are lovely and I especially enjoyed the one of the winery.

maxeen wrote on November 14, 2014, 6:51 AM

My friend has emailed me that she is having similar attacks-keep relaxed and sit for at least an hour after eating a meal-trees and views are lovely

inertia4 wrote on November 14, 2014, 7:52 AM

BarbRad That had to be scary. I could not imagine that. But you did the right thing going to the ER.

Ellis wrote on November 14, 2014, 8:40 AM

Could the palpitations be linked to a panic attack? Nice pics by the way..

carmela wrote on November 14, 2014, 8:49 AM

your photos are great! get well soon!

Feisty56 wrote on November 14, 2014, 9:09 AM

I can only imagine how apprehensive you felt, particularly after the second episode of palpitations. Thank goodness you didn't pass out and had the presence of mind to sit down. It must have been a relief to learn you hadn't had a heart attack -- and to be able to go home and sleep in your own bed. I hope your doctor is soon able to determine the right dose of medication for you so those palpitation episodes become a thing of the past.

tinamarie wrote on November 14, 2014, 9:23 AM

Great pictures and I hope you are feeling better! Take it easy and take care of yourself.

LoudMan wrote on November 14, 2014, 11:02 AM

Look at you, being a party animal at the hospital. I bet you had them wheel you up and down the hallway, singing, didn't you. Anyway, get better soon.

BarbRad wrote on November 14, 2014, 1:40 PM

I'm planning to stay home and take it easy today. I'm still a bit tired.

BarbRad wrote on November 14, 2014, 1:41 PM

I'll have to do another article on just that winery and that wouldn't cover it. It's so beautiful to walk there and also further down the road from it.

BarbRad wrote on November 14, 2014, 1:42 PM

I wonder what the eating has to do with it?

BarbRad wrote on November 14, 2014, 1:43 PM

I've been wondering about that. I don't know much about panic attacks or what brings them on. I do know it took more of my normal medication to stabilize me. If I had to guess, I'd say it was more related to going up and down stairs.

BarbRad wrote on November 14, 2014, 1:44 PM

It appears it was necessary last night, so I'm glad I went. It was scary.

BarbRad wrote on November 14, 2014, 1:45 PM

Thanks. I guess I'm already well, since except for the medication issue, they didn't find anything wrong.

BarbRad wrote on November 14, 2014, 1:47 PM

I called his office this morning and they will send for my record of last night's episode and we'll go from there. He will be able to compare the EKG from my office visit to that in the hospital last night. It may be he can just adjust my dosage without my having to go in again.

BarbRad wrote on November 14, 2014, 1:48 PM

Just what I plan to do today!

AliCanary wrote on November 14, 2014, 1:48 PM

Gosh, I'm glad to hear that you are doing better! I'm so thankful that I have a good hubby who has ferried me to the hospital a couple of times. We are lucky!

BarbRad wrote on November 14, 2014, 1:48 PM

Not quite. Those nurses were too busy to party.

Feisty56 wrote on November 14, 2014, 2:09 PM

That would be great!

OldRoadsOnceTraveled wrote on November 14, 2014, 2:36 PM

Can't you find anywhere more fun to hang out?

Seriously, I'm glad you're okay. Is there a way to reorganize to have your office on the first floor?

I didn't read this until after I sent you an email asking for a favor. Don't worry if you don't have time or don't feel like it.

AngelSharum wrote on November 14, 2014, 3:34 PM

Lovely photos. I'm sorry you ended up in the ER. Palpitations feel awful, although they tell me they are hardly ever dangerous. Like you, I am supposed to go to the ER if they keep happening. I hope you feel better today.

maxeen wrote on November 14, 2014, 3:49 PM

I was thinking of eating and DRINKING -could be caffeine,take care.

paigea wrote on November 14, 2014, 10:28 PM

That sounds very scary. I hope you are feeling better soon.

BarbRad wrote on November 16, 2014, 1:03 AM

Yes. I shudder to think about what life would be like without him.

BarbRad wrote on November 16, 2014, 1:37 AM

I've been hanging out mostly at home since yesterday. Our house in Templeton is just too small. Over here all the rooms are on the first floor and I don't have to use part of my bedroom as the office. Wish I could put this house on that lot.

I didn't see an email from you. Did you send it to my gmail or my other account? You might try resending it.

BarbRad wrote on November 16, 2014, 1:38 AM

I am better today. I even got out and did some shopping. Got more tired than I usually do with that much activity, but no palpitations. I rested when I needed to.

BarbRad wrote on November 16, 2014, 1:42 AM

When I was much younger the episodes would sometimes last for hours. I finally went to a cardiologist who put me on medication that kept it under control. I outlived him, though we were about the same age. He died of tachycardia. Probably would have lived had he not stopped for gas on the way to the golf course to meet the doctors he was to play with.

BarbRad wrote on November 16, 2014, 1:42 AM

I feel much better today. Thanks.

OldRoadsOnceTraveled wrote on November 16, 2014, 7:47 PM

I'm supposed to remember that far back? I'll resend.

BarbRad wrote on November 17, 2014, 5:44 PM

Got it and answered it last night. Thanks.

OldRoadsOnceTraveled wrote on November 17, 2014, 9:47 PM

Thanks for the invitation. See you there!