By in Animals

How To Help A Dog Who Has Eaten A Frog Or Toad

Here are some tips to follow if your dog has bitten or eaten an frog or toad. Since dogs are curious animals, they might be tempted to kill, bite, and even swallow frogs and toads.

Symptoms

The dog will start foaming at the mouth and vomiting white foam mixed with lots of saliva. If the toad has managed to poison the dog, the dog will vomit constantly and start looking sick. Some frogs and toads are less dangerous than others so symptoms might range from mild to very intense. Depending on severity, dogs can develop a fever and have seizures.

Some steps you can take to eliminate your dogs discomfort

- make the dog drink water immediately

- if the dog refuses water, try milk

- try to wash out the dogs mouth with a wet washcloth or a used toothbrush

- clean all around the dog's mouth including the paws

If your dog has ingested a very poisonous frog/toad, you need to take it to the vet as soon as possible.


Image Credit » http://pixabay.com/en/collie-dog-young-puppy-lying-cute-388921/

You will need an account to comment - feel free to register or login.

Comments

Ellis wrote on August 11, 2014, 9:59 AM

Hopefully, the dog will only attempt to eat a frog once!

LeslieAdrienne wrote on August 11, 2014, 1:00 PM

My dog , ate a mother rabbit and a baby rabbit... It was awful to me but apparently very pleasant to the dog....

tzwrites wrote on August 11, 2014, 2:43 PM

Aw, that's so sad.

tzwrites wrote on August 11, 2014, 2:44 PM

My dog keeps doing it and she was so sick yesterday, she vomited 10 times. Guess she never learns

BarbRad wrote on August 11, 2014, 3:20 PM

I didn't realize common frogs and toads were poisonous. I never though of ours that way here in California.